‘I want action,’ Cambridge mayor writes after learning friend died following struggle with addiction
Cambridge Mayor Marc McGovern shared in a moving Facebook post on Sunday that he learned a friend of his who struggled with homelessness and addiction died from an overdose.
“On Thursday I saw him in Central Sq. and he was looking a little rough,” McGovern wrote of his friend, “John M.” “He said that he relapsed but was trying to get into a 14 day treatment bed. I told him to come by and see me and I would try to help. He smiled, as he always did and said he would come by. I just found out that he overdosed Thursday night and passed away. I’m heartbroken. He was a good man who had a tough time in life.”
Read the whole article at Boston.com.